These are awesome for breakfast or snacks. They really do taste like pizza and considering how much I love Bagel Bites, it’s a plus. Note: DON’T use paper liners. Worst mistake. If you have silicon baking cups or one of those nifty silicon muffin tins, use it. You can also just grease your muffin tin, I was just too lazy and ended up majorly regretting it. Another note, you can freeze these guys (once baked) for the following week. Win, win!
What you will need
14 oz (that’s one biggish can) of diced tomatoes. Drain.
1 Tablespoon of tomato paste
1 small red onion, diced
Dried oregano, basil, salt/pepper (guys, I don’t measure. Just eyeball it)
Optional Add In’s
Ground beef or Italian sausage
Diced (pre cooked) chicken
Diced Bell Peppers (red, green)
You could get really crazy and use some grass fed shredded cheese . . .
1. Preheat oven to 325. Saute onion in your choice of fat for 5-10 minutes. If you are using uncooked ground beef or sausage like I did, go ahead and add it to the onions and cook them together. If your meat is already cooked, skip to step 2.
2. Add tomato paste to onions and mix well. Add drained tomatoes and mix well. Allow to cook for 10 ish more minutes. If your meat is pre-cooked, I would still add it to the pan and let it cook with the tomato/onion mixture for flavor purposes.
3. While waiting on tomato/onion mixture, crack and scramble eggs in a large bowl with fork. Add spices. Add mix-ins of your choice.
4. Place spoonful of tomato/onion/meat mixture into the bottom of each muffin tin/liner. Pour egg mixture over spoonful until the tin is not quite full.
5. Bake muffins for 30-35 minutes. You could pull muffins out when they have 8ish more minutes and sprinkle some cheese on top of each, if you wanted to get really crazy.
** Recipe is adapted from “http://paleoparents.com/2011/mini-egg-pizzas/”